One Direction Facts
One Direction are an English-Irish pop boy band based in London, consisting of members Niall Horan, Zayn Malik, Liam Payne, Harry Styles, and Louis Tomlinson. They signed with Simon Cowell’s record label Syco Records after being formed and finishing third in the seventh series of British television singing competition The X Factor in 2010. The group subsequently signed in the United States with Columbia Records. Becoming a prominent figure in mainstream popular music and popular culture, their two albums Up All Night (2011) and Take Me Home (2012), broke several records, topped the charts of most major markets, and generated worldwide chart-topping singles, including “What Makes You Beautiful” and “Live While We’re Young”.
Let’s check out some fun, interesting and exciting One Direction Facts:
One Direction Band Members
- Louis William Tomlinson is the oldest member of One Direction and was born on 24th December 1991. Louis is a Capricorn, comes from Doncaster in South Yorkshire and has has five half sisters. Louis attended Hall Cross School where he starred in several musical performances including playing the role of Danny Zuko in Greece.
- Zayn Javadd Malik is next in line and was born on 12th January 1993 in Bradford, West Yorkshire. Like Louis, Zayn is a Capricorn and has three sisters. Zayn attended Lower Fields Primary School, but had difficulties owing to his mixed English – Pakistani heritage and moved to the Tong High School.
- Liam James Payne was born on 29th August 1993 in Wolverhampton in the West Midlands. Liam’s star sign in Virgo and he had two older sisters. Liam had a difficult time in school and has spoken about how he “was bullied by a few people who were much older than me” until he took up boxing to defend himself.
- Niall James Horan was born on 13th September 1993 ( like Liam, he’s a Virgo) in County Westmeath in the Irish midlands. Niall has one older brother, Greg and is the only member of One Direction who was not born in England. Niall went to St Kenny National Primary School in Mullingar where he played the lead role in “Oliver” giving a masterful performance of “Where is Love” and also performed in the school choir. Niall attended secondary school in Mary’s College in Mullingar but did not sit his leaving certificate (equivalent of getting a High School Diploma or GPA) or attend his debs (prom)
- Harry Edward Styles is the baby of the band and was born on 1st February 1994 making him the youngest member of 1D by 140 days. Harry is an Aquarius, comes from Holmes Chapel in Cheshire and has one sister. Harry attended Holmes Chapel Comprehensive School where he won a “Battle of the Bands” competition with his band White Eskimo when he was in year ten. He also performed in lots of school assemblies.
Before X Factor
- Louis Tomlinson was working part-time and studying for his A-Levels before X Factor came calling. Louis also acted part-time and had small roles in Fat Friends, If I Had You and Waterloo Road.
- Zayn Malik
- Before X Factor Liam was studying music technology student at City of Wolverhampton College and had performed in front of 20,000+ people at a Wolves football match at Molineaux Stadium. As a fourteen year old Liam had unsuccessfully auditioned for the fifth series of X Factor in 2008 but X Factor judge Simon Cowell thought he was too young for the competition.
- Prior to auditioning for X Factor Niall was attending secondary school at Coláiste Mhuire in Mullingar aswell as performing on a part time basis in this native Westmeath. Niall’s biggest performance prior to X Factor was supporting Lloyd Daniels as his sell-out gig in Dublin’s O2 Theatre in January 2009.
- Harry Styles was working part-time in a bakery in his home town of Holmes Chapel before X Factor as well as performing with his band White Eskimos, with whom Harry was the lead singer, with his friends guitarist Haydn Morris, bass guitarist Nick Clough and drummer Will Sweeny.
- Tomlinson cites Robbie Williams as his biggest influence and idol. In an interview with Now Magazine, he stated: “I’ve always loved [Robbie]. He’s just so cheeky, he can get away with anything. His performances are unbelievable.” He also admires recording artist Ed Sheeran, describing him as “phenomenal.”
- Zayn cites urban music as his main musical influence, growing up, he was into R&B and rap. He as well as other members of One Direction further notes artists such as Bruno Mars, as a “dream collaborator.” Malik is addicted to smoking cigarettes; in late 2011, he expressed his desire to quit.
- Payne cites Justin Timberlake as one of his biggest influences. He also said that he draws inspiration from Take That member Gary Barlow when performing.
- Horan has also stated that he is a “big swing” fan, citing favourite artists Frank Sinatra, Dean Martin and Michael Bublé. Horan also cites rock music favourably and is a fan of The Eagles, Bon Jovi and The Script.
- Harry Styles as a child, Styles loved singing, noting Elvis Presley as one of his influences. He also cites Presley for his musical beginnings. Styles also cites contemporaries, Foster the People, Coldplay and Kings of Leon among his influences. Styles states that The X Factor gave him “a lot more” confidence as a performer. Styles says that he often looks to Coldplay front man Chris Martin for inspiration when performing on stage. Styles also states that The Beatles had an influence on him growing up, as his father would play their music.
X Factor Auditions
- Niall performed a version of Ne-Yo’s ‘So Sick’ at the X Factor auditions in Dublin’s convention center July 2010. Simon commented “I think you are unprepared, you came with the wrong song, you’re not as good as you thought you were, but I still like you”, but still gave Niall a yes vote along with Louis and Katy.
- Harry auditioned in Manchester in front of judges Simon Cowell, Louis Walsh and guest judge Nicole Sherzinger. He sang “Isn’t She Lovely” by Stevie Wonder. Louis was not impressed with the performance saying that Harry did not have enough experience. On the other hand Simon and Nicole were happy with the audition meaning that Harry made it through the audition.
- Liam auditioned in Birmingham where he was judged by Cheryl Cole, Simon Cowell, Louis Walsh and guest judge Natalie Imbruglia. Liam had auditioned before in 2008 where he made it through to the bootcamp, but was sent home by Simon because he was too young. This time around he sang the song “Cry Me A River”. His performance earned a standing ovation from Simon and Natalie and a massive reception from the crowd. He made it through to the next around after a brilliant performance.
- Louis performed the song “Hey There Delilah” by Plain White T’s in Manchester where he was judged by Louis Walsh, Simon Cowell and Nicole Sherzinger. All three judges were delighted with the performance and Louis made it through the auditions.
- Zayn auditioned in front of judges Simon Cowell, Louis Walsh and Nicole Sherzinger in Manchester. He performed the song “Let Me Love You” by Mario where he made it through to the next round after getting three thumbs up from the judges.
One Direction History – X Factor
One Direction Albums
One Direction World Tours
One Direction Favourites
One Direction Favourite Quotes
One Direction Alternative Careers
Interesting One Direction Facts
- Niall is the only member of One Direction that has a brother.
- Niall and Liam share a middle name, James.
- Zayn is the only directioner to smoke.
One Direction in 2013
I hope you have enjoyed my One Direction Facts. For further information about One Direction you should check them out here.